June 30, 2016

Recent Rollouts: Hot Hands, Press 2 Paste

Hot Hands

Description: Silicone gloves
Main Pitch: "Tough enough to handle all the hot stuff"
Main Offer: $10 for one pair
Bonus: 2nd pair (just pay P&H), Lovin' Oven thermometer (free)
Starring: Marc Gill
Marketer: Ontel
Producer: Concepts
Watch the spot

I reviewed this project back in January. It is only just now rolling out.

"The reason to believe this could be a hit is the Old Gold (and evergreen) product Ove Glove from Joseph Enterprises," I wrote. However, no "attempt to replicate its success has worked," I added. "This marketer tried with Tuff Glove in the fall of 2014, and Anthony Sullivan tried with Grill Glove (a product that resembles this one) in 2010."

I used to say: "In DR, the third time is never the charm." Now you can see why I changed it to: "In DR, the third time is seldom the charm."

Press 2 Paste

Description: A toothpaste dispenser
Main Pitch: "Dispenses the perfect amount of toothpaste every time"
Main Offer: $12.99 for one with toothbrush holder
Bonus: Double the offer (just pay P&H)
Marketer: Allstar/Lenfest
Producer: Concepts
Watch the spot

Speaking of the winter of this year, and Old Gold, I reviewed this project in February.

"To be honest, I'm still not sure why this item was a success in the first place," I confessed, referring to the 2009 Allstar/Merchant Media hit Touch 'N Brush. But after some snarky comments about the credibility of the device, I gave it a good prognosis. "Allstar knows how to sell it, and we're close enough to the seven-year break a Phoenix needs to rise again," I explained.

What's most interesting to me about this item's success is that it lacks "pester power" and play value (parents hope), two seemingly essential criteria for kid-focused items. Perhaps I am misjudging this one, though, and kids are drawn to the way this works?