September 03, 2015

Foam Funs

Description: Headphones for kids
Main Pitch: "Enjoy your favorite songs and sounds without your headphones breaking down"
Main Offer: $19.99 for a pair in pink, red or blue
Bonus: 2nd pair (just pay P&H)
Marketer: Allstar
Producer: Hutton-Miller
Watch the spot

As a parent of young kids, I love this idea. A quick story: The other day I ordered headphones for my eight-year-old and my six-year-old. I found a nice-looking but cheap pair, so I ordered three of each. I thought I was so clever! But today, just a few weeks later, the six-year-old is on his last pair and the eight-year-old has one pair left. I can't even count how many sets of earbuds we've gone through.

That's my perspective. What about my kids? They probably don't care. At their age, headphones are more of an imposition. They want to watch their YouTube videos, the ones that seem to be narrated by the most annoying people on earth, at full volume. I want them to wear headphones so I don't have to listen to yet another over-caffeinated gamer shriek and babble about some inane virtual world ...

OK, maybe I made this too much about me, but I do have a point: Headphones are cheap and kids probably don't care much about them. No real play value, no wow (although Hutton-Miller does a great job manufacturing both). If I'm right, that will spell trouble for this project.