April 23, 2015

Secret Gloves

Description: Liquid 'gloves'
Main Pitch: "Repels dirt and grime, keeping hands clean and protected"
Main Offer: $9.99 for one tube
Bonus: 2nd tube (just pay separate P&H)
Marketer: Hampton
Watch the spot

This concept was tried in the summer of last year under the name Hand Defender (see No. 3 in this Weekly Round-Up). I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now. As I wrote back then: "I don't think anyone besides a mechanic needs a product like this." Plus, I think putting a weird mystery substance on your hands that seals them will seem scary to people.

S7 Analysis: This one fails the targeted criterion. When combined the idea that a DRTV product should solve a problem high on the problem scale, the question becomes: Who has a big enough problem to buy this product? If the correct answer is the one in the commercial -- people who work on cars often or garden a lot -- then the target is a segment of a segment.