October 14, 2014

Plumber's Secret: Old Gold?

New Name: Plumber's Hero
Starring: Marc Gill (and his mom)
Original Hit Years: 1999-2000 (Nos. 52, 60 on JW Annual)
Website: www.PlumbersHero.com
Prediction: On the fence

This product was done years ago with Bob Villa. (You can watch the creative here.) Since then, drain-opening devices have had a great run on live shopping and a poor run on DRTV. The only success I can think of is Ontel's Turbo Snake (No. 42 on the 2009 JW Annual), but that item has little in common with this one.

As for the creative, I think it's as good as it possibly could be. Marc nails all of the magic demos from live shopping and then some, and the added touch of having his mom perform the demo is endearing and effective. I also like the simplicity and memorability of the slogan: "Just press and unclog the mess!" For these reasons, I give this project a 50/50 shot whereas I would otherwise consider it unlikely to succeed.

[Spot is also available here.]