September 05, 2014

Ready To Roll

Description: A bag that rolls up
Main Pitch: "The best bag you'll ever use"
Main Offer: $19.99 for one
Bonus: Sticky Buddy (just pay a separate fee)
Starring: Anthony Sullivan
Marketer: Telebrands
Producer: Sullivan Productions
Website: www.ReadyToRollBag.com
Prediction: Unlikely to succeed

I hate to ruffle any feathers (who me?), but this is just a terrible idea for a commercial. Sully is a veteran pitchman and his success in certain categories cannot be disputed. Just turn on the TV and you're bound to see his face eventually. But Sully for a ladies' makeup bag? With a masculine name/tag-line like "ready to roll"? Pitched on an empty white set like a cleaning product? I don't get it.

Of course, even if this item were presented well, I wouldn't like it. Makeup bags are a commodity item. Travel items never work on DRTV because the average American just doesn't travel that often. Prescription organizer, sewing and craft bag -- the uses just get worse and worse.

If I didn't know and respect the players involved (here's hoping there's some crazy sales data behind this one), I would have given this my worst possible rating.