September 05, 2014

Air Writer

Description: A 3D pen
Main Pitch: "Like a 3D printer in the palm of your hand"
Main Offer: $19.99 for one
Bonus: 2nd one (just pay a separate fee)
Marketer: Telebrands
Producer: Kerrmercials
Website: www.AirWriter3D.com
Prediction: Likely to succeed (but)

It's not uncommon for Telebrands to test two, three or more versions of a commercial for an item they decide has potential. I've noted everything from name changes (e.g. Ankle Genie) to whole new creatives by different producers (e.g. Trusty Cane). I got the prediction for Ped Egg wrong largely because I watched an early creative that did not mention a key feature of the product -- or so I tell myself.

I bring this up because the only reason I think this project is likely to succeed is because the product has so much potential: The commercial will need to be completely redone. I'm not sure what went wrong (quite possibly product performance was an issue), but the demos and ideas shown are either lame (the cube), repetitive (the cube and the flower) or way beyond the capability of the average person (copying a photo). That's a shame because this product is awesome and easily has as much potential as Bendaroos or other 'kid craft' items that have been successful.

Speaking of which ... Where are all the kids?

[Note: At press time, the link to this site was working -- and then it stopped working. I'm not sure if that's a technical glitch or if this one crossed over into 'fast fail' territory as I was writing about it! If the site's down when you click, you can read about similar pens and watch a demo of one in this Daily Mail article.]