December 12, 2013

Weekly Roundup


Dueling Key Locators

  1. Key See. Pitch: "The motion-activated key locator that illuminates your keys instantly." Comments: See below. [ss]
  2.  
  3. Key Brite. Producer: Concepts TV. Pitch: The "foolproof key finder that glows bright day or night." Comments: I'm too late to the party to make this an official duel. The first item was an apparent 'fast fail,' anyway. I'm not sure of the fate of this item, which has a much better design, but I think it is also unlikely to succeed. The problem is too low on the scale. [ss]
  4.  
  5. Cosmetic Express. Marketer: Spark Innovators. Producer: Monte-Brooks. Pitch: "The convenient cosmetic carryall that turns into a magical makeup mat." Comments: Tough category, but I like this product. [ss]
  6.  
  7. Dual Plunger. Marketer: Spark Innovators. Pitch: "Snake and plunge at the same time and clear any clog in seconds." Comments: I'm going to reiterate my "s**t solutions don't sell" theory here and predict failure for this one. More specifically, I've never seen a plunger work on DRTV, and several have been tried (e.g. Presto Plunger, Pushover Plunge). [ss]
  8.  
  9. Handy Lantern. Pitch: "The sturdy, portable and powerful LED lantern that gives you bright light wherever and whenever you need it." Comments: As I mentioned last week, I know firsthand that this is a Siren category. [ss]
  10.  
  11. Kennedy Memorial Coin. Producer: Greenberg Direct. Pitch: "50 years later ... remember a great president." Comments: Fits the model (commemorative, coins), so I see no reason why it wouldn't do well. [ss]
  12.  
  13. Mix N Bake. Marketer: Spark Innovators. Producer: Concepts TV. Pitch: "Lets you mix and bake neatly, completely in just one pan." Comments: I don't bake, but this strikes me as a solution in search of a problem. The 'save a pan/pot/dish' argument never really works in DR. And this looks messy, too. [ss]
  14.  
  15. Sun Genie. Starring: Anthony Sullivan. Producer: Sullivan Productions. Pitch: A solar-powered lantern that's "the greatest invention since the light bulb." Comments: Hyperbole much? I'll admit this is one of the cooler lanterns I've seen -- but it's still a lantern (see comments above). I liked the demos, though. [ss]
  16.  
  17. Twist Ease. Producer: Monte-Brooks. Pitch: "Not a braid, but a unique hair accessory that puts a new twist in hair for endless hot styles." Comments: An apparent 'fast fail.' One of the 49 if my math is right. [ss]
  18.  
  19. Wedgy Wedge. Pitch: "The ultimate comfort solution that delivers support in the areas you need." Comments: If the third time is never the charm, what's the 8th time? (See my Backtastic and Happy Back reviews.) I know: Someone not paying attention! [ss]