June 10, 2013

Fashion Stick

Description: A roll-on adhesive
Main Pitch: "Safe on fabrics and keeps fashion in its place"
Main Offer: $10 for one
Bonus: 2nd one (just pay P&H)
Marketer: Allstar
Producer: Monte-Brooks
Website: www.GetFashionStick.com
Prediction: Unlikely to succeed

There are two reasons I have a negative gut feeling about this product. The first is the failure of similar products on DRTV (e.g. Show Stoppers). The second is the last criterion on my original list of seven criteria for DRTV products: credibility.

In subsequent lists, I dropped the credibility criterion because I had seen too many un-credible (incredible?) items do well on DRTV. But believability is still worth thinking about, and it may be a barrier to purchase here. The fan demo in this creative is a clever way of trying to overcome it, but I think women may still be too skeptical to order on impulse.

If I'm wrong, this will do well because it does solve several problems. Moreover, protecting one's modesty has been established as a reliable driver of DRTV sales (see Allstar's Trendy Top and Ontel's Cami Secret).