March 26, 2013

Rocket Tops: Old Gold?

Current/Original Marketer: IdeaVillage
Original Hit Year: 1999
Website: www.GetRocketTops.com
Prediction: Likely to succeed

As I have mentioned before, I consider myself unqualified to predict whether a kids' item will be successful on DRTV. I don't have enough experience in the category, and the criteria are clearly different than for other DRTV items. That said, two things make me comfortable enough to take a shot and predict success for this campaign.

First, this was one of IdeaVillage's first hit items, selling well when the company was still in its infancy and not nearly the powerhouse it is today. Second, although I'm no expert, I am aware of several criteria specific to toys -- and this product seems to meet those criteria. Specifically, it has a lot of "wow factor" and it also has great "play value."