March 18, 2013

Finger Charger

Description: A portable device charger
Main Pitch: "The new compact, backup battery that has you instantly back in business"
Main Offer: $19.99 for one in black, pink, chrome or leopard
Bonus: 2nd one (just pay a separate fee)
Marketer: Telebrands
Website: www.FingerCharger.com
Prediction: Unlikely to succeed

I think this project will fail for an unusual reason: I don't think the product can be made for the price advertised. I've looked into it myself because I considered pursuing a similar item.

Otherwise, I like it. Most phone chargers on the market are expensive and "techy," which is to say they are designed for men. If this charger could be made for $20, it would definitely do well. I especially like its female-friendly size and design. It's not much larger than a lipstick and can easily slip into a purse like one. In fact, I would have called it the "Lipstick Charger" (if the name is available). "Finger" is a bit creepy.

Anyway, it turns out these products are expensive for a reason. It may be possible to put out a really inferior product that meets DRTV margin requirements, but such a product won't stay on the market for long.