February 04, 2013

Light Angel

Description: A motion-activated outdoor light
Main Pitch: "The easy-to-install ... light that lights up LED bright automatically"
Main Offer: $19.99 for one
Bonus: 2nd one (just pay a separate fee)
Marketer: Telebrands
Producer: Sullivan Productions
Website: www.BuyLightAngel.com
Prediction: On the Fence

The only reason I think this one might have a shot is the security pitch that comes later in the commercial. Otherwise, this is yet another ill-fated entry in the lighting category, which I believe is still dead (with the exception below). It's also worth noting that at least three motion lights have been tried in the last five years without much success: Redi Lite from 2007, Auto Brites and Mighty Light. But that security pitch gave me pause ... it just might resonate.

On another note, I think this is the appropriate moment to revisit my incorrect prediction for the Olde Brooklyn Lantern. In attempting to explain it, I could distinguish between emergency lighting and task or utility lighting. I could also remind everyone that one is outlier, three is a category (or category revival, as the case may be). But fair is fair, and it's time for me to eat crow: the Olde Brooklyn Lantern is a bona-fide hit. I was clearly wrong about it.