November 15, 2012

Wax Vac

Description: An ear cleaner
Main Pitch: "The safe and effective way to clean and dry your ears"
Main Offer: $10 for one with 8 tips, cleaning brush
Bonus: Double the offer (just pay separate P&H)
Marketer: Lenfest/Hampton Direct
Producer: PB&J
Website: www.WaxVac.com
Prediction: N/A

This item is already No. 15 on the IMS, so it is too late to make an honest prediction. However, I will cop to my original prediction: highly unlikely to succeed.

My (clearly wrong) opinion was that Q-Tips are a 'good enough' solution to the problem of dirty ears -- despite the supposedly dire warnings (which seem to have no impact on robust and regular cotton-swab sales). I was told of people that have problems cleaning their ears properly -- and told of all the problems that go along with that -- but I didn't believe there were enough of these people to sustain a DRTV campaign. For instance, the guy in the opening of this commercial probably shouldn't be left alone with a fork or any other pointy object.

What can I say? I was wrong. I'm not as smart as I think I am. On a related note, kudos to the guy who is as smart as he thinks he is and got this one right (you know who you are).