April 17, 2010

Review: GoFit ACS

Description: A multi-functional exercise bar with a pull-up assist feature
Main Pitch: "[The Gravity Band] automatically propels you upward allowing virtually anyone to do 10, 15 even 20 pull-ups and chin-ups"
Main Offer: 2 pay of $29.95
Bonus: Free Abstraps (just pay S&H)
Marketer: GoFit Direct
Website: www.GoFitACS.com
Prediction: Unlikely to succeed

The first point I want to make (say it with me now): There's only room for one. This product is nearly identical to the Iron Gym, which just topped the annual IMS Top 50 for the second year in a row.

The nearly is interesting, though, because GoFit has hit on a real problem/solution here. When I first looked at the Perfect Pullup, I had this thought exactly. Most people I know can barely do one pull-up (let alone rotational pull-ups). Solving the problem by giving them an assist is a great idea. Many gyms have a more expensive machine that does the same thing. So it's really too bad they saddled this first-to-market idea with a third-to-market product.

On a side note, I want to use this opportunity to highlight a pet peeve of mine. I see it from time to time in commercial scripts, and I draw a red line through it every time. It's the phrase, "absolutely free ... just pay shipping and handling." Talk about a contradiction in terms!