October 13, 2009

Review: Mighty Tape

(E-mail readers click here to see the spot.)

Description: Tape that fuses to itself, so it isn't sticky
Main Pitch: "Creates an air tight, water tight seal in seconds"
Main Offer: $19.95 for two rolls
Bonus: Triple the offer (six rolls)
Starring: The late, great Billy Mays
Marketer: Plymouth Direct/Media Enterprises
Producer: Hutton-Miller
Website: www.BuyMightyTape.com
NEW! S7 Score: 6 out of 7 (?)

I'll admit I'm a little skittish about evaluating any "Mighty" campaign because I got it so wrong when I first evaluated Mighty Putty. Since then, I've been more accurate. I called Mighty Mendit correctly, and I wasn't afraid to critique Mighty Shine and Mighty Blast. But that one bad call still bothers me.

Adding to my worry is that the last two "Mighty" products I reviewed didn't really fit the line. In my opinion, this brand stands for home repair, not silverware or stains. However, this new product does fit the line, so I'm a little nervous about making a call.

Here's what it comes down to: "Is the product needed enough to generate the impulse to buy?" It's a tough question, but my answer is "probably not." As far as I can tell, waterproof tape has been available at hardware and other specialty stores for years. It's probably been around as long as duck tape and electrical tape. But while those other types of tape have crossed over to the mass market and are now easy to find at big-box chains like Home Depot, it appears waterproof tape has not.

Now, it's possible this is because waterproof tape just hasn't been marketed correctly. But it's more likely that it isn't as needed in everyday life.

The reason why becomes clearer when you pay careful attention to the demos in this commercial. Unlike Mighty Putty, which had 1,001 uses, this product is more limited. There are only a few uses that are unique to the product. No other tape can repair a hose while it is leaking. If you are scuba diving and a hose breaks, sticky tape is going to be of little use. But repairing a power cord or extension cord? Creating a grip for a tool? Electrical tape works just fine. And sealing vacuum hoses? Duck tape is probably superior. What about those plumbing fixtures? Well, that leads to my next concern.

As readers of this blog know, I often worry about something I call "the curse of the brand extension." I've blogged about this before, but it's worth mentioning again: A successful flagship product (let alone two) can have a negative as well as positive "halo effect" on subsequent products. It's often hard to articulate why, but the plumbing example offers one explanation. When I watched the demo, I thought: Isn't that what Mighty Putty is supposed to do?

In other words, one reason brand extensions might be cursed is that they often end up competing with their own "big brother," the product that was first in the mind and enjoys all the benefits competitors have also found hard to overcome.

As for the commercial, it's everything I've come to expect from the Hutton-Miller team. When I first heard about the scuba diving demo, I had to smile despite the circumstances (I had recently learned of Billy's death). No matter how many times this team is asked to make the mundane magical, they always exceed expectations.

Oh, and speaking of Billy, he is flawless. I still miss him.